Bio / Resume'
Jim Camp JD
Jim Camp is recognized nationally for his expertise in law-enforcement training, trial advocacy, traffic safety, medical-legal issues and motivational speaking. Jim has over sixteen years experience as an elected District Attorney, nine years as a Traffic Safety Resource Prosecutor with the Tennessee District Attorney General’s Conference and eight years as a civil litigator. But unlike most speakers in the field, Jim also holds a Bachelor’s Degree in Education. This makes him uniquely qualified as a speaker and trainer of professionals.
Jim possesses practical experience as both a litigator and leader, has the eye of a writer, the gifts of a storyteller, a profound sense of humanity and the heart of a teacher. He is well known for relevant, substantive, useful, entertaining, passionate and dynamic messages to audiences of all backgrounds. While engaged in civil litigation Jim was one of the youngest members of the prestigious Board of Directors of the Wisconsin Academy of Trial Lawyers. While in Tennessee he has been recognized with numerous awards for his skill as a speaker and trainer of law-enforcement officers and prosecutors. He has been an author on training, traffic safety and trial advocacy and was a long time faculty member for trial advocacy courses at the National District Attorneys Association’s National Advocacy Center on the USC campus.
As a member of the Tenth Legion, Jim is an avid pursuer of the elusive wild turkey, the whitetail deer and North American waterfowl. He is a lifelong drummer, enthusiastic guitar picker, father of two and is the worlds greatest grandpa to his four grandchildren.
James W. Camp JD
Mr. Camp is the President of Dynamic Messages, LLC a law enforcement and traffic safety training and consulting firm. A nationally recognized authority on traffic safety, trial advocacy, law enforcement and prosecution issues, he is an in demand motivational and subject matter expert speaker and consultant having served as Elected District Attorney, Assistant District Attorney General and Traffic Safety Resource Prosecutor with more than 33 years experience as a trial lawyer. Over 24 of those years were spent in prosecution with extensive experience in traffic safety, vehicular homicide, child abuse/neglect, drug delivery and domestic violence prosecutions, as well as in trial advocacy, office management and leadership and adult education and training. Over twenty-five thousand have heard him speak. Mr. Camp has educated and provided authoritative advice to and for law enforcement, staff and command, prosecutors, health care providers, educators, legislators, committees, boards, traffic safety partners and private industry nationally. He has authored numerous articles on impaired driving and trial advocacy and has extensive experience in the political realm. He also holds an undergraduate degree in education distinguishing him from most other law enforcement trainers.
- President, Dynamic Messages LLC, Nashville, Tennessee, January 2016 to present
- Motivational speaking, training and consulting for industry, law-enforcement, prosecutors, judiciary, health care professionals, educators and traffic safety stakeholders throughout the nation.
- Training, writing and video production relative to legal, medical-legal, traffic and trial advocacy issues including impaired driving, crash reconstruction, investigation, crime scene protection and processing, witness skills and preparation, child abuse and neglect recognition, medical negligence, and human trafficking.
- Traffic Safety Resource Prosecutor, Assistant District Attorney General, Tennessee, February 2007 to January 2016
- Assessing/Training/Teaching/Advising/Designing/Implementing programs in traffic safety for prosecutors, law enforcement, Judicial Commissioners and Traffic Safety Partners in Tennessee and throughout the nation. providing information to legislators on traffic safety related issues. In residence trainer/advisor and liaison at the Tennessee Dept. of Safety (Tennessee Highway Patrol) Law Enforcement Training Academy.
- Elected District Attorney, Green Lake County, WI, January 1991 – February 2007.
- Responsible for review, charging, prosecution, trial and appeal of felony, misdemeanor, criminal traffic, juvenile and traffic cases. o Obtained the three longest drug delivery sentences in County history. o Created county’s first Victim – Witness Assistance Program. o Faculty/Founder of the Mid Wisconsin Law Enforcement Symposium, statewide interdisciplinary training for law enforcement and prosecutors. o Responsible for office and personnel management and budget. o Advised and consulted with legislators regarding criminal and traffic safety issues.
- Trial Attorney-Civil Litigation, Menn Law Firm, Appleton, WI, 1987 to 1991.
- Plaintiff and defense trial counsel in various cases in civil litigation including general products liability, farm liability, dairy farm stray voltage, auto crashes, medical malpractice, general liability, and subrogation. o Advised and lobbied legislators regarding civil litigation and personal injury issues.
- Trial Attorney, General Practice, Grant, Buchholz, Sias & Hoeper Law Firm, Waupun, WI, 1986 to 1987.
- Plaintiff’s trial counsel in general civil litigation including auto crashes and medical malpractice. o Criminal defense trial counsel. o Represented both petitioner and respondent in family law matters.
- Trial Attorney-Partner-General Practice, Gonyo, Camp & Sierleja Law Firm, Berlin, WI, 1982 to 1986.
- Plaintiff’s trial counsel in general civil litigation including auto crashes, general products liability and medical malpractice. o Criminal defense trial counsel. o Represented both petitioner and respondent in family law matters. o Counsel for real estate sales and purchases.
- Standardized Field Sobriety Testing 1992
- Nationally Registered Emergency Medical Technician – Inactive
- Crisis Medical Intervention - April 2018
- State BAR of Tennessee 2008
- State BAR of Wisconsin 1982 – Inactive
- Private Pilot – Single engine, fixed wing rating
- Chair, Ocular Data Systems Advisory Board 2016 - present
- Wisconsin Academy of Trial Lawyers Board of Directors Dec. 1985 - 1992
- Chair, MADD Tennessee State Advisory Board Jan. 2019 - present; Board member 2015 - present
- Board Member Major Political Party, Green Lake County, Wisconsin
- International Association of Chiefs of Police, Associate Member
- Wisconsin Academy of Trial Lawyers (Former Member Board of Directors) - inactive
- Association of Trial Lawyers of America - inactive
- Wisconsin District Attorneys Association, (Member, Resource & Prosecutor’s Council Committees) – inactive
- Kevin E Quinlan National Excellence in Traffic Safety Award – December 2015
- Tennessee District Attorney Generals Conference President’s Award – October 2013
- Tennessee Governor’s Highway Safety Office Lifesavers Award – 2009
- Wisconsin District Atty’s Association Prosecutor of the Year, Honorable Mention - 2002
- Juris Doctor – Cleveland – Marshall College of Law, Cleveland OH - 1982
- B.S. Degree Secondary Education – University of Wisconsin – Oshkosh, Oshkosh WI – 1979
- Attorney Fred Lane’s Trial Advocacy School - Chicago IL - 1988
- National Traffic Law Center/ NHTSA Train the Trainer - 1999
- Emergency Medical Technician Training - Moraine Park Technical College, Fond du lac, WI 1976
- Traffic & Impaired Driving Case Law Chapter Co-author, WI Prosecutor’s OWI Handbook
- Train the Trainer Curriculum Co-author, National Highway Traffic Safety Administration
- Co-author, Cross-examination for Prosecutors, National Traffic Law Center
- One of the developers & presenters, closing speaker, National Football League Impaired Driving Summit, NFL HQ., NYC
- Contributor/speaker Suffolk University Law School Prosecution of the Impaired Driver Online Video Course
- Co-author, National District Attorneys Association, Prosecuting DUI Cases, on demand webinar 2018
- Author, The Crash Page, Quarterly, Tennessee DUI News 2007-2015
- Member Green Lake County Wisconsin, Highway Safety Committee
- Former Chair Green Lake County Domestic Violence Coordinated Community Response Team
- County Co-chair, for successful candidate, Wisconsin Gubernatorial re-election campaign
- Member steering committee, Wisconsin, United States Senate Campaign
- Past President, Green Lake County BAR Association
- Board Member, Major Political Party, Green Lake County, WI
- Co-creator, coordinator & faculty Mid-Wisconsin Law Enforcement Symposium interdisciplinary training
- Member Founding Committee, Faculty Instructor, Tennessee District Attorney Generals Trial Advocacy School
- Member MADD Tennessee State Advisory Board 2015 - present, Chairperson 2019 - present
- Member MADD Tennessee State Legislative Committee
- MADD National Outside Expert/At Large Member Law-enforcement Committee Jan 2020 - present
SPEAKING EXEMPLAR (This is a partial, representative list. Complete list available upon request)
- Member/instructor/lecturer, Lethal Weapon DUI Vehicular Homicide Trial Advocacy Training Team, National Advocacy Center, 10 yrs
- Governor’s Highway Safety Association National Conference, 2014, 2018
- International Association of Chemical Testing Conference
- Keynote Speaker, Do You Have Skin in the Game? Smart Start International Sales & Training Conference, Dallas, TX Jan. 2016
- New York City Stop DUI Conference, Manhattan District Attorney’s Office
- Wisconsin State Fire Marshall’s Advanced Arson Investigation School
- Co-presenter, Child Abuse and Neglect Recognition for Mandatory Reporters, Annual Emergency Medical Services Conference, Medical College of Wisconsin, Milwaukee, WI
- Co-presenter, Child Abuse and Neglect Recognition for Mandatory Reporters, University of Wisconsin Annual Conference Focusing on Emergency Care, Milwaukee, WI
- Co-presenter, Child Abuse and Neglect Recognition for Mandatory Reporters, Life Link 3 Emergency Medical Conference, Hayward, WI
- Co-presenter, Child Abuse and Neglect Recognition for Mandatory Reporters, Life Link 3 Emergency Medical Conference, Red Wing, MN
- Presenter, Preventing Spontaneous Combustion - Bridging the Gap Between Law Enforcement And Health Care Providers, Vanderbilt Lifeflight Emergency Medical Conference, Spring Hill, TN
- Presenter, Preventing Spontaneous Combustion - Bridging the Gap Between Law Enforcement And Health Care Providers, Tennessee State Emergency Medical Conference, Gatlinburg, TN
- Co-presenter, Your Duty As A Mandatory Reporter, The Rules of Evidence for Health Care Providers, University of Wisconsin Oshkosh Nursing School, Clinical Nursing Class 2001-2006
- Presenter, Discovery, Wisconsin Academy of Trial Lawyers Annual Winter Conference, Milwaukee, Wisconsin, 1990
- Dare International
- DUI Trial Advocacy Trainer/lecturer Tennessee, Wisconsin, West Virginia, South Dakota, North Carolina, Hawaii,
- Keynote speaker, Opening Plenary Session, American Legion Badger Boy State, 1996-2006
- Keynote speaker, MN Towards Zero Death Conference, 2016
- Keynote speaker, Plenary Session, State Awards Session Pennsylvania Stop DUI Conference, 2016
- Keynote speaker, Luncheon Session, Pennsylvania Stop DUI Conference, 2017
- Keynote speaker, Plenary Session, New York State Traffic Safety Conference, 2015, 2018
- Keynote speaker, Opening Plenary and Plenary Awards Sessions, WV Highway to Enforcement Conference, 2016, 2017
- Keynote speaker, Awards Ceremony, Lancaster Co. DUI Awareness Conference, Manhiem, PA
- Keynote speaker, Pennsylvania Operation Nighthawk, Hazelton, PA 2017
- Keynote speaker, Pennsylvania Operation Nighthawk, Pittsburgh, PA 2017
- NHTSA Lifesaver’s National Conference Presenter 2008, 2011, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019. Moderator 2009
- Presenter Kentucky PAC State Prosecutor's Conference, 2017, 2018
- Presenter, DUI Silver Bullets, Institute of Police Technology and Management, Symposium on Traffic Safety, Presenter, Orlando FL, 2017
- Keynote speaker, closing session, 24/7 Sobriety Program National Summit, Sacramento CA, April 10, 2018
- Missouri DWI/Traffic Safety and DRE Recertification Conference, Lake of the Ozarks MO, June 6, 2018
- Presenter, DUI/DUI-D Silver Bullets, International Association of Chiefs of Police, Drug and Alcohol Impaired Driving Conf. Trainer/lecturer August 13, 2018
- Presenter Colorado DAs Council’s Drug Impaired Driving, Golden CO, Colorado Springs, CO & Fort Collins CO Sept. 2018
- Presenter, Impaired Driving Eye Signs, Society Of Forensic Toxicologists’ National Convention, Minneapolis, MN Oct. 2018
- Presenter, Impaired Driving Training, Connecticut Division of Criminal Justice, Rocky Hill Conn., November 2016, 2018
- Presenter, Prosecuting the Impaired Driving Case, Master Class Video Series, KY PAC January 8, 2018